Intel's investment in Poland will not start for now

Intel’s investment in Poland will not start for now

The American technology giant Intel will not start building a factory near Wrocław yet because Donald Tusk’s government wants to renegotiate the contract with it regarding this investment.

The Polish government has not sent an application to the European Commission for consent to grant state aid to American Intel, reported “Dziennik Gazeta Prawna”. This means that construction of the Intel factory near Wrocław will definitely not start for now.

Intel’s project in the Miękinia commune near Wrocław is the largest direct investment in the history of Poland, and its value is expected to be as much as PLN 20 billion. For the project to get off the ground, Poland was to provide as much as PLN 6 billion for the construction of this semiconductor factory. For this purpose, however, Warsaw had to receive consent from the European Commission, and for this to happen, the application had to be sent by the end of December 2023.

“Dziennik Gazeta Prawna” learned that the notification was not sent to Brussels because Donald Tusk’s government wants to renegotiate the terms of the contract concluded with Intel. The goal is to obtain Intel’s declaration of greater investments in Polish science. On February 6, Defense Minister Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz, when asked about the renegotiation of the contract, said only that “the change of government in Poland has changed the investment process for the better” and this is to be expressed by “restoring the rule of law, creating better conditions, re-establishing contacts.”

Wrocław University of Science and Technology cooperates with Intel

At the end of January 2024, Wrocław University of Science and Technology announced the signing of a cooperation agreement with Intel, which includes, among others: jointly conducting research and development projects, developing and adapting the education program to bring it closer to the real needs of the industry, as well as conducting lectures by specialists from Intel.

Our plans include, among others: construction of a large, interdisciplinary research center specializing in micro- and nanosystems. It will be equipped with unique equipment, which will allow us to conduct useful research in this field and prepare our staff to cooperate with Intel.

– said Prof. Arkadiusz Wójs.

Intel’s Semiconductor Integration and Testing Facility will employ over 2,000 people, of whom approximately 30 percent will be engineers and the remaining 70 percent will be technicians.