Manchester City face a tough first test of their Premier League title defence away to West Ham this weekend.
Pep Guardiola’s side came from two goals behind to rescue a 2-2 draw when these two sides met in London on the penultimate game of last term.
The result proved instrumental in City capturing a second successive title the following weekend as they finished one point above Liverpool.
And City look well placed to challenge for a three-peat having added the likes of Erling Haaland and Kalvin Phillips to their superstar squad.
West Ham v Man City: Date and time
This Premier League clash will take place on Sunday, August 7.
The match at the London Stadium will kick off at 4:30pm.
West Ham v Man City: TV channel and live stream
This match will be broadcast live on Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Premier League with live coverage starting from 4pm.
Sky Sports customers can live stream this via the app using their mobile, tablet or computer devices.
If not, you can purchase a Sky Sports Day Pass from NowTV for £9.99.
Updates will also be live on talkSPORT throughout the afternoon.
To tune in to talkSPORT or talkSPORT 2 through the website, click HERE for the live stream. You can also listen via the talkSPORT app, on DAB digital radio, through your smart speaker and on 1089 or 1053 AM.
Palace v Arsenal: Reaction as ‘young Ferdinand’ Saliba and ‘perfect’ Jesus seal win
Tuchel confirms Cucurella move, Klopp rules out more Liverpool deals, De Jong latest
West Ham v Man City: Team news
The hosts will have to wait to see new striker Gianluca Scamacca in action so Michail Antonio is set to feature in attack.
Fellow summer signing Nayef Aguerd remains sidelined through injury while Angelo Ogbonna is not yet fit to return.
As for City, Haaland is expected to start his first Premier League game with fellow new signing Julian Alvarez could also be involved.
Aymeric Laporte remains absent after undergoing knee surgery but Guardiola otherwise has no fresh injury concerns to contend with.
West Ham v Man City: What has been said?
Guardiola: “Never at the start we think to win the league. We don’t need the perspective to see what we’ve done is massive. How the players move.
“The rivals, mainly Liverpool, we’ve won four in six years, we are incredibly proud. I’d like to say loud how good we’ve done.
“We travel tomorrow to London and do a good game in West Ham, always we struggle in beginning of the season.
“We try to avoid it, we have long weeks of preparation, every week we get better. Be competitive, be consistent. I know what we can do.
“We want to make the next step in the way we play and this is the desire to do it.”
West Ham v Man City: Match facts
- New Man City signing Erling Haaland has been involved in seven goals in his last three games played on the opening weekend of a league season – one assist with Red Bull Salzburg in 2019-20, two goals with Borussia Dortmund in 2020-21 and two goals and two assists with Dortmund last season.
- Man City striker Erling Haaland could be the seventh Norwegian to score on his Premier League debut, and the third to do so in the opening game of a season (Tore Andre Flo in 1997-98, Adama Diomande in 2016-17). His father – Alf Inge Haaland – made 181 Premier League appearances between 1994 and 2001, with the last of those coming for Manchester City against West Ham United in April 2001.
- Man City’s Jack Grealish has been involved in five goals in his six Premier League appearances against West Ham (3 goals, 2 assists), including four in his last four – against no side has he been involved in more (also 5 vs Liverpool).
- Manchester City have lost just one of their last 28 Premier League games (W23 D4), and are unbeaten in their last 12 (W9 D3). The Citizens are also unbeaten in their last 18 away from home (W14 D4), with their only defeat on the road last season coming in London on the opening weekend (0-1 vs Tottenham).
- West Ham have won just one of their last seven Premier League games (D2 L4), with that victory coming at already relegated Norwich in May (4-0). The Hammers are winless in their last nine Premier League games against reigning champions (D2 L7), since a 1-0 win against Chelsea in December 2017.
- Manchester City lost 1-0 to Spurs in their opening league match of last season, meaning the reigning top-flight champions have lost their opening match in three of the last six seasons (W3), having gone unbeaten in 26 consecutive seasons between 1990-91 and 2015-16 before this run.
- After losing their first Premier League match in five consecutive seasons between 2016-17 and 2020-21, West Ham won 4-2 at Newcastle last season. They last started their league season with a win in back-to-back years in 2012-13 (1-0 vs Aston Villa) and 2013-14 (2-0 vs Cardiff).
- Only Tottenham (38) have lost more Premier League games against reigning champions than West Ham (36). Meanwhile, of all sides to have played 20+ such games in the competition, only Aston Villa (7.4%) and West Bromwich Albion (7.7%) have a lower win rate than the Hammers (9.6% – won 5/52).
- Manchester City are unbeaten in their last 13 Premier League meetings with West Ham (W10 D3), only versus Fulham (14) are they currently enjoying a longer unbeaten run against sides in the top-flight in 2022-23.
- West Ham United have faced Manchester City on three previous occasions in their opening top-flight game of the season, losing all three and failing to score a single goal (conceded 11).
The Premier League is back and talkSPORT has it covered, with games on Friday, Saturday and Monday, beginning with Crystal Palace vs Arsenal on 5 August
Offers Of The Weekend
Bet365: Bet £10 Get £50 in Free Bets* – CLAIM HERE
Paddy Power: Bet £5 via the talkSPORT EDGE app with Paddy Power and get a £5 free bet – available to all customers* – CLAIM HERE
Sky Bet: Over 2.5 goals in each of the 6 Premier League matches on Sat 6th Aug (was 33/1) @ 40/1 – CLAIM HERE
Bet365: Open account offer. Bet £10 & Get £50 in Free Bets for new customers at bet365. Min deposit requirement. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits and are available for use upon settlement of qualifying bets. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and T&Cs apply 18+ Begambleaware.org
Paddy Power: Place a £5 Sportsbook Bet through the talkSPORT EDGE app between the 1st and 31st August. Get a £5 free bet on the next Monday after your qualifying bet. T&C’s apply. 18+ Begambleaware.org
SEE MORE FREE BET OFFERS HERE
Contact Us For Promotions, Biography Submission, Edit Or Takedown Of An Article.