Manchester United begin a new era under Erik ten Hag by hosting Brighton in the opening weekend of the Premier League.
The Red Devils suffered their worst season in Premier League history last term but there’s a sense of cautious optimism surrounding Old Trafford.
Ten Hag has had all summer to implement new ideas and United have brought in the likes of Lisandro Martinez and Christian Eriksen.
The 20-time English champions will also be out for revenge on Brighton, having endured a damaging 4-0 defeat to the Seagulls during the penultimate game of last season.
Man United v Brighton: Date and time
The Premier League clash will take place on Sunday, August 7.
The match at Old Trafford will kick off at 2pm.
United played twice last weekend against Spanish opposition, losing to Atletico Madrid in Oslo a day before a 1-1 draw with Rayo Vallecano.
Man United v Brighton: TV channel and live stream
This match will be broadcast live on Sky Sports Main Event and Sky Sports Premier League with live coverage starting from 1pm.
Sky Sports customers can live stream this via the app using their mobile, tablet or computer devices.
If not, you can purchase a Sky Sports Day Pass from NowTV for £9.99.
Updates will also be live on talkSPORT throughout the afternoon.
To tune in to talkSPORT or talkSPORT 2 through the website, click HERE for the live stream. You can also listen via the talkSPORT app, on DAB digital radio, through your smart speaker and on 1089 or 1053 AM.
Tuchel confirms Cucurella move, Klopp rules out more Liverpool deals, De Jong latest
Man United v Brighton: Team news
The hosts are without Anthony Martial through injury but Erik ten Hag refused to reveal if Cristiano Ronaldo will start in his place.
Eriksen and Martinez could both make their competitive debuts while Luke Shaw is back in training after missing out on last weekend’s friendlies.
As for Brighton, the club have signed Chelsea defender Levi Colwill on loan but Marc Cucurella has gone the other way.
Alexis Mac Allister is a doubt to make the trip to Manchester but Jakub Moder is definitely still out on the sidelines.
Man United v Brighton: What has been said?
“I am really happy he is here,” said Ten Hag about Ronaldo.
“We have a top striker. We stick to the plan.”
On Brighton, the Dutchman added: “It is exciting, as is every season. But when you arrive with a new team, it is tough.
“But we are really looking forward to Sunday. They are a good team, a decent team and play attractive football. I like them.”
Man United v Brighton: Match facts
- Brighton’s Pascal Groß has scored more Premier League goals against Manchester United than he has any other opponent (4). He’s scored in all three of Brighton’s Premier League victories against the Red Devils, netting the winning goal on two occasions.
- Manchester United’s Bruno Fernandes has been involved in six goals in his five Premier League appearances against Brighton (4 goals, 2 assists) – only against Leeds (8) has the Portuguese been involved in more.
- Erik ten Hag will be the eighth manager (including caretakers) to take charge of Manchester United in the nine years since Sir Alex Ferguson retired. Six of the previous seven in that time have won their first ever match in charge of the Red Devils, with Louis van Gaal the only exception (1-2 vs Swansea).
- After losing six consecutive league games in February/March, Brighton have lost just one of their last nine (W5 D3). Only Liverpool (23), Manchester City (23) and Tottenham (20) earned more Premier League points in April and May last season than the Seagulls (18).
- Manchester United have lost four of their last six Premier League games (W1 D1), more than they had in their previous 20 (W10 D7 L3). They lost their last two in 2021-22, last losing three consecutive league games in December 2015.
- None of Brighton’s opening Premier League matches in their five seasons in the competition have finished level (W2 L3), with their two wins coming against sides who would be relegated at the end of the season – a 3-0 win over Watford in 2019-20 and 2-1 win against Burnley last season.
- Manchester United have won their opening Premier League match in 10 of the last 13 seasons (L3), winning 5-1 against Leeds United last season. The Red Devils ended 2021-22 with a defeat – they’ve not lost their last game of one season, and first game of the next since 1973.
- Brighton have never won away against Manchester United in all competitions (D2 L12), losing each of their last eight visits to Old Trafford to face the Red Devils.
- Brighton and Hove Albion have lost six of their last seven Premier League games against Man Utd but did win last time out in May 2022 (4-0) – only versus Man City (9) have the Seagulls lost more Premier League contests than versus Man Utd (7).
The Premier League is back and talkSPORT has it covered, with games on Friday, Saturday and Monday, beginning with Crystal Palace vs Arsenal on 5 August
Offers Of The Weekend
Sky Bet: 50/1 for a shot on target in Crystal Palace v Arsenal* – CLAIM HERE
Paddy Power: Bet £5 via the talkSPORT EDGE app with Paddy Power and get a £5 free bet – available to all customers* – CLAIM HERE
Sky Bet: Over 2.5 goals in each of the 6 Premier League matches on Sat 6th Aug (was 33/1) @ 40/1 – CLAIM HERE
Sky Bet: NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY. MIN/MAX STAKE £1. FREE BETS CREDITED ON TOP OF WINNINGS. FREE BETS CREDITED WITHIN 72 HOURS. 5 X £10 BET TOKEN. FREE BET STAKES NOT INCLUDED IN RETURNS. FREE BETS CANNOT BE USED ON VIRTUALS. FREE BETS ARE NON WITHDRAWABLE. NO FREE BET EXPIRY. ELIGIBILITY RESTRICTIONS AND FURTHER T&CS APPLY.
Paddy Power: Place a £5 Sportsbook Bet through the talkSPORT EDGE app between the 1st and 31st August. Get a £5 free bet on the next Monday after your qualifying bet. T&C’s apply. 18+ Begambleaware.org
SEE MORE FREE BET OFFERS HERE
Contact Us For Promotions, Biography Submission, Edit Or Takedown Of An Article.